Lieutenant Williams is more complex than Captain Fieser. You must prevent the furnace exploding by constantly being aware of the pressure building inside.
There are 2 mechanics that result in a wipe or instakill.
- The wipe mechanic occurs when the pressure reaches maximum, resulting in the furnace exploding. This can be mitigated by completing the diagnostics continuously, or completing the phase below.
- The furnace has 1 instakill mechanic, which occurs everytime a console is reset after diagnostics have been completed. The usual siren sounds and anyone on the top or middle floor of the furnace dies.
To defeat Lieutenant Williams you must;
- Initiate the encounter and run diagnostics for electric (yellow), pressure (blue), and fire (red) – which will be in a random order. The first diagnostics starts the encounter, followed by 1 of each.
- Relieve the pressure in furnace lock at the bottom, 6 cogs need adjusted in order to open the doors. This exposes the molten steel which in turn needs damaged in order to release it. Do not stand directly behind it.
- Obtain ideal pressure for the furnace by shooting valves A through to P (8 valves will need adjusted). This will lock the pressure and spawn the final boss encounter which has a time limit.
- After killing Williams, he will drop a key which needs to go into the Emergency shutdown computer at the top, with all 3 computers being reset. This needs completed within 30seconds.
The simplified process: An Agent must run a diagnostics computer at the top of the furnace, other agents need to rectify the malfunctions and an agent must reset the console on the ground floor. Resetting the console initiates a wipe mechanic from the furnace – anyone on the top or middle floor will need to jump off. It will also spawn the boss directly behind the computer who will become immune and run away after 2 bars of damage have been completed. The boss will only spawn 3 times from the consoles.
The Agent running diagnostics can hold the button in, or press it and it will last a few seconds – a light will stop flashing when diagnostics are no longer available. The wipe mechanic will also cause a light to flash above the diagnostic console as the siren sounds.
- Electric malfunctions are indicated by yellow/electric panels sparking
- the 3 panels must be switched on. These can be found on the top and middle floor of furnace, and on the outside and inside of the ground floor.
- Pressure will result in purple pipes with valves leaking gas
- the 3 valves need rotated, and can only be found on the middle floor of the furnace
- Fire will be red pipes that release fire from the side.
- when the fire valve is found (there are only 4), it must be held so that the Agent on top of the furnace can reach the diagnostic computer. there are 2 valves at the fire console and 1 between fire/electric, and electric/pressure.
Correctly doing the 6 bars of damage to the boss and the 3 diagnostics (4 in total) will cause lights to come on at the bottom of the furnace in order to release the molten steel.
Gear cogs and releasing molten steel
Gear cogs and the molten steel are a little easier to explain, but get complicated by the fact the boss spawns and has a sticky seeker mine.
Someone must get on the middle floor of the furnace and start turning the 2 valves so that the gear cogs line up, the cog on the right will turn anticlockwise and the left will turn clockwise. The “pacman” needs to line up with the yellow lock which turns into a light when done correctly.
The agent moving the cogs isn’t able to see how many are left and someone needs to relay to him (adjusting for comms delay). In the picture above, the cog on the right is aligned. The cog on the left isn’t. To align the cog on the left there is a quarter left which is the equivalent of 3 ‘movements’. When the cog is in place, there is a loud clinking noise. All right cogs will need to be at the 9 o’clock position, and left valves will be at the 3 o’clock position. Every encounter will have the cogs randomized.
When all 6 cogs are lined up, the orange lights should be destroyed which causes the safety gate at the bottom to open. At this point the molten steel needs shot so that it fills the trench on the floor. Do not run directly behind the molten steel when shooting it – it will instakill you.
If you successfully open all 3 molten steel gates, the lights on the bottom floor of the furnace will light up and you now need to stabilize pressure.
In order to stabilize the furnace, an agent needs to be on the top floor in order to read the screen above. If there is fire, you will need to open a valve and go through the diagnostic once more to access the screen.
There will be an agent on the ground floor of the furnace looking at valves that are labelled A through to P in clockwise direction. From the screen, the agent at the top must state what needs done with the valves – above would be
- Bravo and Charlie less pressure
- Delta more pressure
The agent on the bottom of the furnace must shoot the side of the valve to turn it – the valve must ‘tighten’ to add more pressure, and ‘loosen’ to relieve pressure. If the agent is facing Alpha ready to run clockwise, shooting the top will loosen it, and shooting the bottom will tighten it. There will be 8 valves to modify. Once that is complete you move in to final section
Defeating Williams and Emergency Shutdown
There will be 3 turrets on the outter middle ring, which the boss will take up as the pressure valves are being adjusted. There are RPG’s that drop which destroy the turret, or people can shoot the weakpoint. As the pressure stabilizes there will be a time limit (up to 3m30 depending on how much pressure was left on stabilization) in order to kill Williams. Williams will have his seeker mines lock people down. Agents must hipfire at their feet or shoot teammates feet in order to free them – you are unable to break out of the foam otherwise. Williams also has a satchel of poision which will attack and kill agents health – completing disregarding armor if they get in its path.
Williams at this point will also have a healing mechanic on his backpack which heals him very quickly. A demolisher firefly can pop it temporarily, otherwise people will need to focus fire on it. When Williams has been killed, he drops the masterkey. At this point you have 30seconds to finish the encounter – the key must immediately be brought to the top of the furnace and inserted into the emergency shutdown console. There must be an agent at each of the 3 consoles to reset it one final time to end the encounter.
Phases of Williams
At different times of the encounter, Williams will spawn. He is armed with poision that will kill agents, and seeker mines that will lock agents down. He spawns for the first 3 diagnostics but will run out of the furnace after 2 bars of damage each time.
The next time he spawns will be as soon as the first molten steel gate has opened. After all 3 gates are opened and Williams has taken enough damage, he will next appear on the middle outside floor and start using 3 turrets. These can be destroyed with RPG’s or by shooting the weakpoint. Once pressure is stabilized and all 3 turrets are destroyed, he will jump onto the ground floor for the final encounter.